Grange Farm / West End Cottage
The area around what is now Grange Farm has ancient roots. It is at the centre of the lost hamlet of Sco which was so small it never became an ecclesiastical parish. The house that was there at that time is shown above and was called West End Cottage.
Thomas Francis was the farmer and landowner at the time and developed the barns there in around 1797.
At the time of the 1812 Inclosure Award Thomas owned 90 acres of land in and around West End Cottage which consisted of a house, yard, outbuildings, garden, orchard and the 90 acres of land.
After Thomas died in 1837 the old house was considerably changed with a large extension to the front (west) and south sides. This would have been in about 1840 when the house had passed into the hands of Thomas’ granddaughter Anne Rising Francis and her husband (and cousin) George Edward Francis. There is an indication that the original house was enlarged rather than demolished with a new replacement in that the name of it continued in use for sometime. The name seems to have changed for good soon after 1862.
This picture is of a meadow just to the east of The Grange. On the 4th March 1945 a De Havilland Mosquito from 68 Squadron, Coltishall crashed in this area after being shot down by an Anti Aircraft Gun which was based at Runham the crew parachuted out and landed in Martham village, one sustaining a broken leg.
1812 – Thomas Francis was the owner the house, yard, outbuildings, garden, orchard and land amounting to about 90 acres at the time of the 1812 Inclosure Award. He also had five tenants occupying cottages.
1832 to 1836 inclusive. Thomas Francis (1743 to 1837) and George Edward Francis (1791 to 1842) were listed in the Martham Register of Electors at West End Farm for these years.
1840- George Edward Francis (husband of Anne Rising Francis, they were also cousins) was listed on the Martham Register of Electors at West End Farm.
In 1841 the farm was called West End Cottage and it was occupied by George & Anne Francis and their children.
1842 – Anne Rising Francis was the owner at the time of the Tithe Award.
1845 – Anne Rising Francis was listed in White’s Directory at West End Cottage.
1850 – Anne Rising Francis was listed in Hunt’s Directory at West End Cottage.
1851 census – Anne Rising Francis was the occupier and the property was listed as Grange Cottage.
1856 to 1860 inclusive – William Gillett was listed in the Martham Register of Electors at The Grange, Cess.
1861 – William Gillett (1813-1883) lived at the house and farmed 550 acres of land. The house was again listed as West End Cottage. He was the brother of Harriet Gillett who married Benjamin William Rising.
1864 – William Gillett was listed as a £50 occupier in the Martham Register of Electors at The Grange.
1866 – William Gillett was listed in the Martham Register of Electors at The Grange.
1867 to 1882 – Alfred Mabbot Wiseman was listed in the Martham Register of Electors at The Grange.
1871 & 1881 – Alfred Mabbot Wiseman & his wife Thirza were listed as occupiers of The Grange in the 1871 & 1881 census returns.
1883 – Alfred Mabbot Wiseman was listed owner of The Grange in Kelly’s Directory.
1885 to 1895. The Grange was not listed in the Register of Electors during these years.
1891 census – William Munford and his wife Maria were the occupiers at what was listed as Grange Farm Cottage. William was a farm bailiff so it is likely that someone else was the owner and he worked for them.
1896 – William Gladstone Ulph was listed in Kelly’s Directory under the private residence section.
1901 census – William G Ulph and his wife Annie were the occupiers of what was listed as Grange Farm House. He was 32 and from Middx, London and was a farmer.
1911 census – Dimesa and Alice Aldred were the occupiers of The Grange. He was a retired watch maker/dealer. It is unclear whether they were the owners or rented the farm.
1937 – Percy Wiseman was listed as the owner of The Grange in Kelly’s Directory.
1939 – Percy and Hilda Wiseman were listed in the 1939 Register as owner or occupiers of The Grange. He was a farmer born 1889 whilst was Hilda born in 1896.
William Pratt is said to be the owner before 1953.
Peter Norton purchased The Grange in 1953.