John Futter Gymer (1827-1912) & Sarah, nee Dyball (1829-1908)
John was born in about 1827 in Martham as the second child of John Gymer and Hannah Futter. He had five siblings, namely: Elizabeth, Richard, Thomas, Stephen and William. When he was 23, he married Sarah Dyball, daughter of Humphrey Dyball and Christina Read, on 28th April 1850 at St Mary’s. In 1851 John & Sarah lived in Hall Lane (Hall Road) and he was a labourer. By 1871 they had moved to Damgate.
John and Sarah had a large family of at least 13 children as follows:
- Elizabeth Dyball was born in 1849 in Martham. She married Noah Powley in 1866 at Great Yarmouth.
- Stephen Gymer was born in 1851 but died the same year.
- Sarah Gymer was born in 1852. She died in 1853 in Martham aged 4 months.
- Elijah Gymer was born in 1855. He married Eliza Hannah Goulder on 4th November 1879 at Caister Holy Trinity Church. He died on 5th October 1891 in Martham aged 37.
- Ellen Eliza Gymer was born in 1857. She died in 1931 at Mutford, Suffolk.
- Blanche Gymer was born on 30th January 1859. She died on 15th June 1888 in Martham, aged 28.
- William Gymer was born in 1862. He died on 25th September 1924 in Martham. He married (1) Harriet Honner Key Stone on 5th April 1883 at Freethorpe, Norfolk. (2) Ann Mary Starkings on 25th December 1890 at St Mary’s, Martham. (3) Anna Laura Harmer on 25th December 1900 at St Mary’s.
- Humphrey Gymer was born in 1865 in Martham. He married (1) Jane Ward in 1886. (2) Frances Ruth Rowed in 1936 in Surrey. He died on 18th January 1953 in Surrey, aged 88.
- Emma Martha Gymer was born on 27th July 1866 in Martham. She died in 1867 in Martham aged one.
- George John Gymer was born in 1868. He died the same year, aged 10 months.
- Sarah Ann Gymer was born in 1869. She died in 1870, aged 13 months.
- George Walter Gymer was born in 1871 in Martham. He married Emma Flatt in 1894 at St Mary’s. He died on 10th November 1917 in Martham, aged 46.
- John Henry Gymer was born on 4th February 1874 in Martham. He died in 1964 at Great Yarmouth.
Sarah died in December 1908 and was buried on 17th at St Mary’s in an unknown grave but probably in section H which was in use at the time. John died on 15th February 1912 in Martham, aged 84, and was buried at St Mary’s graveyard section H, plot G4.